Best places to visit in TENERIFE
Planning a trip to Tenerife and wondering what are the best places to visit in Tenerife?
Tenerife is the largest and most populous island of the Canary Islands. It’s a very popular beach destination for Europeans, as it is located relatively close to Europe, and plane tickets are often affordable, if not very cheap.
Tenerife is a magical island with a complex geological history that dates back millions of years. The island is of volcanic origin, and boasts landscapes that are absolutely stunning! Even though it’s a volcanic island, the landscapes are quite varied. In Tenerife, you’ll see golden and black sand beaches, high cliffs covered with vegetation, mountains, palm groves and forests.
What to see in Tenerife? There are plenty of amazing places to visit, and it’s not easy to tell you about all of them. So, we’ve created this list of some of the best things to do in Tenerife, just to give you some insight into the island.
Check it out!
7 best places to visit in Tenerife
Teide National Park
Teide National Park is the largest and oldest national park on the Canary Islands.
Mount (Volcano) Teide is the main feature of the national park. With an elevation of 3718 m, it is the highest point in Spain, and one of the most visited natural wonders of the country. Teide volcano and its surroundings (Teide National Park) is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
You can summit Teide, but you need a permit to do it. The trickiest part is — you need to apply for the permit months in advance. So, it’s not really an option for those who have booked their flights last minute. If you have booked a trip to Tenerife at the last minute, you can only use the cable car to access the top station, La Rambleta (located 160 m lower than the peak).
there are two ways you can get to the peak with the permit — hiking all the way up or taking the cable car and hiking the remaining distance to the top of the volcano from the cable car station.
If you do not have the permit, there are a number of trails you can access without it. One of the trails takes visitors to the park’s fascinating rock formations — Roques de García. Some of these geological formations date back 3 million years. To see the peak of Teide, hike the Parador Nacional to Guajara trail which is a 10 km loop trail. It doesn’t require a permit, too
The Pico Viejo Teide viewpoint trail and La Fortaleza Teide viewpoint trail are two more trails you can access without a permit.
Siam Park is a Thai-themed water park located in Costa Adeje.
It features various attractions, slides, swimming pools, a man-made river and a man-made beach with a wave pool. The park also features 25 Thai-themed buildings. It is the largest collection of Thai-themed buildings outside Thailand.
Siam Park undoubtedly is one of the best places to visit in Tenerife with kids.
Loro Park is a large zoo on the outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz.
With over 40 million visitors, it undoubtedly is one of the best places to visit in the Canary Islands.
The park is home to a number of parrot and bird species, and is often called a “paradise for parrots”. The park also keeps orcas, gorillas, tigers, penguins and other animals. There are dolphin shows in the park as well.
Loro Park is one of the best places to visit in Tenerife with kids.
Los Gigantes (“The Giants”) is a resort town on the west coast of Tenerife.
It is known for its giant cliffs, Acantilados de Los Gigantes. These cliffs rise from the sea to a height of 500-800 m and dominate the area. Los Gigantes are really famous and are among the best places to visit in Tenerife.
What to see in Los Gigantes? Visit Playa de Los Gigantes which is located right next to the cliffs. There’s a trail, Trail Los Gigantes, that leads to the impressive cliffs. Mirador de Archipenque offers great views of the cliffs.
Parque Rural de Anaga
Parque Rural de Anaga is a scenic nature park and one of the best places to visit in Tenerife.
It’s also one of the best-hiking destinations in Tenerife. The landscape here is different from the one you’ll see in Teide National Park. Here you will see a green coastline, steep mountains covered with greenery and dazzling blue waters below.
There are a number of hiking trails in the national park that will lead you to various points of the area.
If you are exploring Parque Rural de Anaga, visit Playa de Benijo — a beautiful black sand beach surrounded by steep cliffs. The beach is known for its wild beauty and big waves.
Masca is a small, picturesque mountain village with little streets lined with cypress and palm trees.
The village lies at an altitude of 650 m and has a population of 90 people. Masca is known for its beautiful views of the valley and the surrounding mountains. The road leading to Masca is quite scary, yet has some of the most beautiful scenery in Tenerife.
There is a hiking path starting just outside the village of Masca.
Beautiful Beaches of Tenerife
There are many beautiful beaches all over the island of Tenerife.
Here are some of the most beautiful ones:
- Las Americas — one of the most popular surf spots in Tenerife.
- Playa de las Teresitas — a well known golden sand beach north of Santa Cruz de Tenerife; popular among families.
- Playa de la Tejita — one of the largest beaches in Tenerife, with a craggy red volcanic rock on one of its ends being the main feature.
- El Bollullo — a gorgeous, secluded black-sand beach surrounded by impressive cliffs.
- Playa Jardin — a beautiful beach known for its garden.
- Benijo Beach — a beautiful black sand beach surrounded by steep cliffs; located in Anaga Rural Park.
- Playa de los Gigantes — a beautiful beach next to the cliffs in Los Gigantes.
Tenerife Travel Tips
- As Tenerife (one of the Canary Islands) is Spanish territory, EU nationals do not need a visa to travel to Tenerife. If you already have a Schengen visa or come from one of the visa-exempt countries, you don’t need a visa to Tenerife either.
- The best way to travel around Tenerife is by renting a car.
- Bus services operate in Tenerife. But still, the best way to travel around the island is by car, as buses do not go everywhere.
- Tenerife is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit the island is in spring and autumn. But even in the winter, the water temperature at most beach resorts is comfortable for swimming.
- One of the best things to do in Tenerife is to attend the carnival. It usually takes place in February and March. The Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival is the largest in the Canary Islands.
- Diving and snorkelling are very popular attractions for tourists visiting Tenerife and the other Canary Islands. Thanks to clear blue water and rich sea life, the Canary Islands provide attractive diving and snorkelling grounds for beginners and experts alike.
- If you plan to summit Mount Teide, you’ll need a permit. You need to book it a few months in advance.