7 best places to visit on the EAST COAST of the USA
The United States of America is one of the largest countries in the world.
It is located in North America and consists of 50 states. The sheer size and diversity of the U.S. make it a great travel destination. There is everything for everyone in the U.S. Some of the world’s most beautiful natural wonders, great beaches, islands, vibrant cities and renowned national parks and trails.
As the United States of America is very rich in sights and landmarks, it’s not too easy to choose only a few. To make this task easier, in this article we will focus on the East Coast only.
Here is a list of some of the best places to visit on the East Coast of the USA (here is also an article if you want to know some of the best places to visit on the West Coast of the USA)
7 best places to visit on the East Coast of the USA
Considered the cultural and financial epicentre of Florida, Miami is a must-visit during your trip to the East Coast of the USA and Florida.
Miami is the third most populous metropolis on the East Coast of the United States and has the third tallest skyline in the country.
But the sunny weather and its beautiful beaches — this is what really attracts millions of tourists every year.
Miami is a bustling and glitzy city with no shortage of things to do and places to visit.
Visit the iconic Miami Beach, explore Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, the gem of Miami, and spend a few hours in the vibrant Cuban neighbourhood, Little Havana.
Soak up the lively atmosphere, shop and dine at the open-air shopping centre, Bayside Marketplace.
Do not miss Jungle Island! This is an eco-adventure park located on Watson Island. Jungle Island Park features waterslides, an outdoor wind tunnel, zip lines, escape rooms and various other attractions. Visitors can attend various animal feedings and presentations, and interact with the animals.
Orlando, a large city in Florida, is one of the most-visited cities in the world.
Orlando is a family destination: with a wide variety of fun attractions, world-famous theme parks, aquariums and great family and kid-friendly resorts.
The city, however, is best known for Disney World and Universal. And this is what attracts the majority of visitors, both from the U.S. and overseas.
There are several other amazing theme parks in Orlando you should know about:
- Discovery Cove — an interactive marine life park;
- SeaWorld — a theme park and marine zoological park;
- Volcano Bay — a water park;
- Typhoon Lagoon —a water theme park;
- Gatorland — a theme park and wildlife preserve. The park is home to thousands of alligators and crocodiles, an aviary and a petting zoo.
Florida Keys, Florida
The Florida Keys are an archipelago located off the southern coast of Florida.
Stretching for about 193 km off the coast of South Florida, the archipelago consists of about 1700 islands.
It’s a paradise to discover!
Relaxing on a beach with a drink in hand, snorkelling and scuba diving are the best things to do in Florida Keys.
Key West is the best-known island (and city) of the Florida Keys. It is the southernmost city in the contiguous United States and one of the best places to visit on the East Coast of the USA.
Key West gets all kinds of visitors, including families with young children. The kids will love the beaches, aquarium and the butterfly museum.
Do not miss the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, Southernmost Point of the Continental US and Key West Lighthouse.
New York City, New York
New York City is probably one of the most popular, if not the most popular place to visit in all of the U.S.
Since so many great films have been shot in New York City, this bustling city is a dream destination for so many people around the world.
Because it’s always fun to visit the location of your favourite movie!
If you are travelling in the East Coast of the USA, New York City is probably going to be the first stop for you.
Spend a few days there, and explore its iconic sights such as the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State Building, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Rockefeller Center, One World Trade Center, 5th Avenue and many more.
I’m sure you have seen these places on TV and know a thing or two about them already. Visiting New York City is one of the best things to do in the USA.
Niagara Falls, New York
Niagara Falls is a group of three waterfalls spanning the border between the United States and Canada. Niagara Falls is one of North America’s top natural wonders and undoubtedly among the best places to visit on The East Coast of the USA.
Niagara Falls are comprised of: Horseshoe Falls, American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls.
The largest of the group is Horseshoe Falls, which lies at the international border of the two countries. The smaller American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls are located within the United States.
Niagara Falls has one of the highest flow rates in the world.
Every night at Niagara Falls, there is a light show when the group of waterfalls are lit up in a rainbow of colours.
Acadia National Park, Maine
Acadia National Park is New England’s only National Park.
Covering nearly 200 km2, the park includes an ocean coastline, mountains, lakes, woodlands, ponds, and wetlands.
Acadia National Park showcases the stunning beauty of coastal New England. The landscapes are especially beautiful during the autumn when trees change into palettes of yellow, red and orange.
Featuring a variety of hiking trails, Acadia National Park is an outdoor lovers’ paradise.
There is something for everyone in this national park — from easy hikes along the coast to challenging and dangerous cliff walks at a high elevation.
And of course, your trip to the East Coast is incomplete without a visit to the capital of the United States — Washington, D.C.
Marvel at its iconic landmarks: the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, the United States Capitol, the Supreme Court, and of course, the most famous house in the United States, the White House.
Visit Washington, D.C.’s wonderful museums which are among the best in the U.S. (admission to many of them is free):
- The National Air and Space Museum — home to the world’s largest collection of historic aircraft and spacecraft. Admission is free.
- The National Museum of American History — the museum displays the heritage of the United States in various areas. Admission is free.
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History — the most visited natural history museum in the world. The museum’s collections contain plants, animals, minerals, rocks, fossils, meteorites, human remains and cultural artefacts. Admission is free.
- National Gallery of Art — houses exhibits from the Middle Ages to the present, including the only painting by Leonardo da Vinci in the Americas. Admission is free.
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum — the country’s official memorial to the Holocaust. Admission is free, except during the period from March 1 to Aug 31.
- Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center — the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum’s annex at Washington Dulles International Airport. The museum has a collection of aircraft and spacecraft, including the Space Shuttle Discovery and a Concorde, a turbojet-powered supersonic passenger airliner. Admission is free.
Do not miss the charming Georgetown. It is Washington, DC’s oldest neighbourhood. With its historical architecture and cobblestone streets, this picture-perfect historical neighbourhood is famous among international tourists and Americans alike.
USA travel tips
- Citizens of many European countries don’t need a visa to travel to the U.S. but are required to obtain an electronic authorisation (ESTA).
- There is only one official ESTA website and that is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov. The official fee is $14.00. All other sites offering this service are the third party, and they charge extra.
- Tipping is customary in the United States. A tip of 20 per cent on top of the bill is standard.
- The power plugs and sockets in the U.S. are of type A and B, and the standard voltage is 120 V. Buy a travel adapter and converter to safely use your electronics.
- The climate of the Eastern Coast varies considerably. The best time to visit depends on where you’re going. Keep in mind that temperature can vary greatly between destinations on the East Coast.
- You can use your credit or debit card to pay for services, accommodation and food. Apple Pay is accepted, too. However, we suggest you bring some cash, just in case.
- There are some cities and areas in the United States that you have to be careful in, but in general, it is very safe to travel in the U.S.